We have moved to www.ashadevos.com

The material on this site is the copyright of Asha de Vos. Photographs should not be used without the express permission of the photographer. For more information contact whalessrilanka@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Marine acoustics with Kelly Benoit-Bird


For the longest time the only thing I really knew about Kelly Benoit-Bird was that she was a recipient of the 2010 MacArthur Genius Award, which happens to be one of the most prestigious awards available. I then saw her keynote presentation at the Ocean Sciences Meeting last year and I secretly sent my approval to the MacArthur Foundation for their incredible choice. Kelly uses marine acoustics in novel ways to learn more about ecosystems in the open ocean. More recently I have had the opportunity to work very closely with one of Kelly's former PhD students, my good friend Amanda Kaltenberg. As a result I have learnt that not only is Kelly a genius but she also happens to be a great person, mentor and friend. 

Watch this short Pop!Tech talk to learn more about the work Kelly does!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for such a nice post, Asha. I've heard your name in so many places, I'm looking forward to meeting you.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kelly! What an honour. Thanks for dropping by ! I look forward to meeting you too :)

    ReplyDelete